Well, despite Lukla being stuck in a cloud, said cloud opened for the briefest of periods – still raining mind you – and the lovely Tara Air and their top-gun pilots squeezed a couple of flights between the gaps to rescue us. We got the first of only 3 flights to run today.
There were cheers a plenty when we landed in Kathmandu.
There were also a great deal of rather manic chucklings, slappings on backs and relieved grins. I think I now know how my friend Jim feels about flying. I’m off to indulge in some libations, and will only be able to discuss the matter after it has been thoroughly dulled in my memory through the action of copious amounts of alcohol.
The plus side is that we now can catch our flights home tomorrow, and any delay with them has to be dealt with by them – as opposed to me trying to work out when to change them to by second guessing the mountain weather.
Oh yes, and true to form, the Kathmandu Guest House didn’t have a room. Our booking was on the wrong day in their system. Computer says no.
For the first time in the couple of weeks we have been in the mountains, the weather is not glorious. It is, in fact, far from glorious. It is, in fact, tipping down with rain, and Lukla is inside a big cloud.
This is not good for several reasons. Firstly, I don’t have a chance to top up my tan. Secondly, it means no flights to Kathmandu. This is a problem, as if there are no flights to Kathmandu, we can’t be in Kathmandu to catch our flights home tomorrow.
Consequently we are
- Praying to whatever gods we can think of to get rid of the clouds
- Checking out how much replacement flights will be
- Crying into our lattes at the fake Starbucks
Last year there was a period of a week where there were no flights out of Lukla. Please not again..
OK, so now we’re back in Lukla at the trail’s end, awaiting our flight tomorrow morning back to Kathmandu. All in all, not feeling to bad – don’t feel like I have any leftover symptoms of HAPE, and my legs are surprisingly lively. Soon put that to rest with a few beers.
We’ve splashed out ($15) on a posh room at the North Face resort, with our own shower and everything. Actually ended up in exactly the same room as I shared with Colin two years ago. Worth every cent to get the smell of two weeks trekking off.
Anyway, in advance of my return, I thought I’d post a picture or two to show you what its all been about.
And here’s a picture of me where the last one was taken. Looking rather happy for a man about to develop altitude sickness. And below is a picture of what I’m going to be doing later this evening.
Thanks to everyone who has donated, and if you haven’t, why not?
Weather and flight logistics permitting we should be back in the UK on Tuesday evening, so see you soon.
Well despite a brush with altitude sickness yesterday, I’m back in Namche after an 8 hour trek from Pheriche, and having dropped over 2000m in altitude in 24 hours. I’ll probably put something more up tomorrow, but to be honest all I want now is a beer. See you later.